Vanilla Bean Ice Cream
- Yield 1 1/2 Quarts
A surefire vanilla ice cream recipe that doesn't require a custard base.
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- Pinch of Kosher salt
- 1 vanilla bean pod, deseeded
- 2 cups of heavy whipping cream
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine milk and sugar. Stir occasionally until the sugar completely dissolves and tiny bubbles form around the edges of the pan. Take off the heat, and add the salt and vanilla seeds along with the vanilla pod to the milk and sugar mixture. Allow to steep and cool for at least 10 minutes.
- Whisk in the heavy whipping cream and discard the vanilla bean pod. Cover and place in the fridge for a few hours until completely chilled, at least 2 hours.
- Transfer the base to an ice cream machine and freeze according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Transfer to a container and let ice cream set completely for at least 2 more hours.