Vanilla Banana Bread
- Yield 28 to 32 servings
Make a loaf for yourself and one for a friend—this recipe makes enough to share.
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups light brown sugar
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 5 large very ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 cup chopped macadamia nuts
- 1/2 vanilla bean, split and scraped
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- Vegetable oil or butter, for greasing pans
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix butter and sugar together with a hand mixer on medium high until creamy and fluffy. Gradually beat in eggs.
- Add bananas and mix with a spoon. Add dry ingredients including nuts and fold in gently with a spoon until just combined. Add vanilla beans and extract and stir to combine.
- Lightly grease two 8 1/2 x 4 1/2-inch loaf pans and divide mixture between the two pans. Bake 45 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into center comes out dry. Makes 2 loaves (14 to 16 slices per loaf).