Union Grill-Caramel Bread Pudding
- Yield 12 to 15 servings
This scrumptious bread pudding is topped with a creamy caramel sauce.
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 4 -- eggs, beaten
- 1 1/4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/4 pound melted butter
- 1 1/4 pounds white bread (2 loaves), cubed
- 1/2 cup caramel sauce, below
- -- Non-stick cooking spray
- Caramel Sauce:
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 stick butter (1/2 cup)
- 1 cup syrup (corn or maple)
- 1 1/3 cups heavy cream
- To make the pudding: Combine the sugar, eggs, heavy whipping cream, milk and melted butter in a bowl and mix together. Add the bread and fold it in. Put mixture in a 9×13-inch baking pan that is sprayed with non-stick pan spray. Pour the caramel sauce over the top and bake at 350F for 30 minutes; check, rotate and bake up to 30 minutes more (or until golden brown).
- To make the sauce: Combine white sugar, brown sugar, butter and syrup in a pot and cook over medium-high heat until all ingredients liquefy. Caution: this sauce gets very hot so be careful. Remove from heat and add the cream.
- Serve hot, in a bowl with vanilla ice cream and more caramel sauce.
Recipe courtesy of Union Grill in Ogden, Utah. Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League of Ogden’s Art of Cooking (the Junior League of Ogden, Utah, 2003).