Ultimate Potato Beer Cheese Soup
- Yield 8-10 servings
Hearty beer and rich cheeses give this potato soup decadent flavor.
Blending only half of the soup smooth gives it a great texture. If you’d like to make this soup vegetarian, simply skip the ham and use vegetable stock instead of chicken – it’ll still be rich and delicious! EQUIPMENT NOTE: You will need a blender.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup chopped or grated carrot
- 1 cup chopped or grated white onion
- 3 ounces chopped lean ham
- 8 cups chopped potatoes
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup beer
- 3 ounces grated cheddar cheese
- 3 ounces grated gruyere cheese
- 1/2 cup reduced fat milk
- In large pot, heat butter over medium until bubbly. Add carrot, onion and ham. Saute 5-10 minutes. Add potatoes and chicken stock, stir to combine. Simmer for 20 minutes, covered.
- Put about half the soup in a blender and process until smooth. Add back to pot. Add beer, cheese and milk. Stir to combine. Enjoy!