Ultimate Potato Cheese Soup
- Yield: 8-10 servings
Blending only half of the soup smooth gives it a great texture. If you’d like to make this soup vegetarian, simply skip the ham and use vegetable stock instead of chicken – it’ll still be rich and delicious! EQUIPMENT NOTE: You will need a blender.
- 2tablespoons butter
- 1cup chopped or grated carrot
- 1cup chopped or grated white onion
- 3ounces chopped lean ham
- 8cups chopped potatoes
- 3cups chicken stock
- 1cup beer
- 3ounces grated cheddar cheese
- 3ounces grated gruyere cheese
- 1/2cup reduced fat milk
- In large pot, heat butter over medium until bubbly. Add carrot, onion and ham. Saute 5-10 minutes. Add potatoes and chicken stock, stir to combine. Simmer for 20 minutes, covered.
- Put about half the soup in a blender and process until smooth. Add back to pot. Add beer, cheese and milk. Stir to combine. Enjoy!