Ultimate Veggie Stock
- Yield: 8 cups
By focusing on ingredient steeped in umami, this stock renders a deep intensity usually reserved for well-made beef stock. Its uses are endless.
- 4 carrots, tops removed
- 4 Spanish onions, peeled and quartered
- 1/2cup vegetable oil
- 2cups tomato paste
- 2cups white wine
- 1ounce dried porcini mushrooms
- 1bunch celery
- 8 black peppercorns
- 2 dry bay leaves
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1/2cup soy sauce
- 1teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2tablespoons roasted sesame oil
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- In a large bowl, toss carrots and onions with oil. Spread them out on a rimmed baking sheet and roast 35 minutes, turning every 10 minutes, or until very brown. Add tomato paste to carrots and onions with a spatula and roast for another 10 minutes.
- Remove baking sheet from oven, scoop up the roasted vegetables and place them in a large stock pot. Pour wine onto baking sheet and scrape up all the roasted bits of vegetables. Add this liquid to the stock pot along with mushrooms, celery, peppercorns, bay leaves, garlic, soy sauce, paprika, sesame oil and 1 gallon of water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 3 hours. Remove from heat and let cool 1 hour.
- Strain stock trhough a fine mesh strainer into another large stock pot or heat-proof container, discarding solids. Store stock in sealed containers in the refrigerator for 5 days or in the freezer for up to 4 months.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Keith Wallace’s Corked & Forked: Four Seasons of Eats and Drinks (Running Press, 2011).