- Yield 4 to 6 servings
Here's a low-fat twist on potato soup.
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 large baking potato, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups canned fat-free chicken broth
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1 cup skim milk
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- In a large pot, combine sweet potato, potato, onion, garlic, bay leaf, salt, thyme, cayenne and chicken broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered 15 minutes, or until potatoes are tender. Pour mixture into a food processor and blend until smooth; return to pot. Add buttermilk, skim milk, and lime juice and cook over a low heat just until heated through; do not boil. Remove bay leaf before serving. Sprinkle cilantro on the top of each serving.