Two Hearts Chicken and Pasta
- Yield 6 servings
This delicious chicken and pasta dish will be a hit with your family.
- 12 ounces sliced mushrooms
- -- Olive oil for sauteing
- 1 bunch green onions, white part only, chopped
- 3/4 tablespoon minced garlic (about 3 large cloves)
- 3 -- skinless boneless chicken breast halves, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 -- (14-ounce) cans fat-free, reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1 -- (15-ounce) can water-pack artichoke heart quarters, drained
- 1 -- (15-ounce) can water pack hearts of palm, drained, cut into 1/4-inch rounds
- 3 tablespoons drained, chopped, oil-packed sun dried tomatoes
- -- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 pound penne pasta
- -- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Saute the mushrooms in a small amount of olive oil in a large skillet until tender. Remove and set aside. Saute the green onions and garlic in a small amount of olive oil in the skillet until tender. Remove and set aside.
- Saute the chicken in a small amount of olive oil in the skillet until brown. Add the basil, thyme, parsley, mushrooms, green onions and garlic to the skillet and mix well. Add the lemon juice and chicken broth.
- Simmer for 10 to 15 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. Add the artichoke hearts, hearts of palm and sun-dried tomatoes to the skillet. Simmer for about 10 minutes. Season with the salt and pepper. Refrigerate, covered, for 8 to 12 hours for best results.
- Prepare penne pasta according to package directions; drain. Place the cooked pasta in a large baking dish. Pour the chicken mixture over the top and mix thoroughly. Bake, covered, at 350F until hot and bubbly. Top with Parmesan cheese.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Forward Arts Foundation’s The Swan’s Palette(Atlanta, Georgia, 2000).