Two-Cheese Squash Casserole
- Yield: 8 to 10 servings
- 4pounds yellow squash, sliced
- 1large sweet onion, finely chopped
- 2-- garlic cloves, minced
- 2tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1cup soft bread crumbs
- 3/4cup (3-ounces) shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1cup (4-ounces) shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1cup sour cream
- 2-- eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2cup fresh chives, chopped
- 1/2cup fresh parsley, minced
- 1teaspoon salt
- 1/2cup freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2cups soft bread crumbs
- 1/2cup (2 ounces) grated Parmesan cheese
- 2tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
- 1/4teaspoon garlic salt
- Cook the squash in boiling water in a large saucepan for 8 to 10 minutes or until tender; drain. Press gently between paper towels to remove excess water.
- Saute the onion and garlic in 2 tablespoons butter in a skillet over medium-high heat for 5 to 6 minutes or until tender. Remove from the heat and stir in the squash, 1 cup bread crumbs, 3/4 cup Parmesan cheese, the Cheddar cheese, sour cream, eggs, chives, parsley, salt and pepper.
- Spoon into a 9 x 13-inch baking dish.
- Mix 1 1/2 cups bread crumbs, 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, 2 tablespoons melted butter and the garlic salt in a bowl. Sprinkle over the squash mixture. Bake at 350F for 35 to 40 minutes or until firm.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the National Association of Junior Auxiliaries’ Silver Spoons Blueberry Afternoons (The National Association of Junior Auxiliaries, Inc., Greenville, Mississippi, 2008).