Twice Baked Potatoes
- Yield: 4 servings
- Prep: 15 mins
- Cook: 40 to 50
- 2teaspoons heart-healthy butter spread
- 1cup chopped onion
- 4 (5 to 6-ounce) russet potatoes
- 1/2cup fat-free plain yogurt
- 1teaspoon garlic salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 425F. Melt spread in a medium skillet. Add onion and cook over medium heat in a skillet for 10 to 15 minutes or until soft and lightly browned.
- While onions are cooking, place potatoes in a medium microwave-safe bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Make a small slit to vent, then microwave on HIGH for 10 minutes or until potatoes are soft when gently squeezed.
- Let cool slightly, then cut in half and carefully scoop out potato leaving a 1/4-inch shell. Mash potatoes, then stir in cooked onion, yogurt, garlic salt and pepper. Place potato skins on a baking sheet and fill with mashed potato mixture. Bake for 20 minutes or until tops are lightly browned.
Caramelized Onion and Pancetta Twice Baked Potatoes: Replace the cup of chopped onion with 1 quartered and sliced large onion. Cook over medium-low heat for 20 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in 1/4 cup diced pancetta and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes more or until onions are soft and golden brown. Add 1/2 cup shredded Gouda cheese, 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard and 1 teaspoon dried sage to mashed potato mixture and spoon into potato skins. Bake as directed above.
Chipotle Chayote Twice Baked Potatoes: Cook 1/4 cup each: black beans, fresh or frozen corn and diced chayote or zucchini squash with onions. Stir into mashed potato mixture with 1/2 cup reduced-fat shredded Mexican blend cheese and 1/3 cup chipotle salsa and spoon into potato skins. Bake as directed above and top with avocado slices and chopped fresh cilantro, if desired.
Mediterranean Hummus Twice Baked Potatoes: Stir 1/2 cup prepared hummus, 1/3 cup diced roasted red bell peppers and 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika into mashed potato mixture and spoon into potato skins. Bake as directed above and top with slivered Kalamata olives, if desired.
Spinach, Cheddar, Bacon and Egg Twice Baked Potatoes: Stir 1 cup chopped fresh spinach, 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat sharp Cheddar cheese and 1/4 cup real bacon pieces into mashed potato mixture and spoon into potato skins. Bake as directed above and top each serving with a fried egg.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 180
- Fat 2g
- Saturated Fat 0g
- Cholesterol 0mg
- Sodium 260mg
- Potassium 838mg
- Carbohydrate 37g
- Fiber 4g
- Sugars 5g
- Protein 5g