Twice-Baked Idaho Potatoes with Sausage and Cheese
- Yield: 8 servings
- 8large Idaho potatoes, scrubbed
- 2teaspoons olive oil (optional, for a softer-skinned potatoe)
- 12ounces ground turkey sausage
- 1cup skim milk
- 1stick (1/2 cup) margarine or butter
- 1/2teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1/8teaspoon white pepper (optional)
- 1/4cup chopped chives (optional)
- 1 (8-ounce) package reduced-fat, shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 425F. Pierce potatoes with a fork several times. Rub potato skins with olive oil if a softer potato skin is desired. Bake potatoes directly on the middle oven rack for 50 to 60 minutes or until they yield to gentle pressure.
- While the potatoes are baking, cook the turkey sausage. Drain the sausage, crumble it and set aside.
- While potatoes are still hot (use oven mitt to hold potato), cut them in half lengthwise. Scoop out the interior flesh of the potato into a medium-sized bowl, leaving a shell about 1/4-inch thick all around. Using a potato masher, mash the potato flesh.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, heat milk until hot but not boiling. Add milk to potato a little at a time, mashing it together each time. Mix in butter and mash all until smooth. Add salt, white pepper and chives, if desired, and mix together thoroughly. Stir in the shredded cheese and sausage.
- Turn oven to 400F. Using a spoon, gently fill the potato shells with the potato mixture, mounding it up high. Place filled potatoes on a baking sheet, sprinkle with Parmesan cheese if desired and bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until hot.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 476
- Fat 21g
- Cholesterol 48g
- Sodium 738g
- Potassium 18g
- Carbohydrate 53g