Tuxedo Cheese Cake
- Yield 16 servings
This exquisite black and white cheese cake delight is worth every effort.
- 1 1/2 cups chocolate chip cookies with nuts, crushed
- 5 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 4 -- squares unsweetened chocolate (4-ounces total)
- 1 teaspoon vegetable shortening
- 2 pounds cream cheese
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 6 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups light cream, or 1 cup heavy cream and 1 cup milk
- To prepare the crust. Preheat oven to 350F.
- Place the crumbs in a mixing bowl and add the butter and sugar. Blend well.
- Press the crumb mixture onto the bottom and partly up the sides of a greased 9-inch springform pan. Smooth the crumb mixture along the bottom to an even thickness.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Cool before filling.
- To prepare the filling. Preheat oven to 450F.
- Melt the chocolate with the shortening in the top of a double boiler.
- Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese and vanilla until light and fluffy.
- Slowly add the sugar, then the eggs. Beat just until well blended. Stir in cream.
- Place about 3 cups of the cream cheese mixture in a separate bowl and add the melted chocolate. Blend.
- Pour the plain cream-cheese mixture into the prepared crust. Add the chocolate mixture by dabbing spoonfuls on top in about 3 different spots. Use a knife or spatula to swirl the chocolate mixture through the white mixture in a zigzag motion, in effect marbling the cake.
- Bake for 15 minutes at 450F, then reduce the oven temperature to 300F and bake for an additional hour. Allow the cake to cool in the oven to room temperature. Chill.
Note: Cooking time as applied to a large cheese cake varies each time a cake is prepared. Oven temperature may have to be lowered and cooking time increased from 10 to sometimes 20 minutes. If cake begins to crack during cooking, a small pan of hot water may be added to oven rack below cheese cake. This pan should be removed for the slow cooling process. Sometimes cake may be left in oven to cool for a full hour or more. Finish cooling on wire rack before refrigerating. This cheese cake may be well wrapped and frozen. It is important to remember to allow for slow defrost time. It is suggested to remove from freezer, let stand at room temperature for 2 hours, and then place the cheese cake in the refrigerator for 4 to 6 hours.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Junior League of Enid’s Stir Ups (Enid, Oklahoma, 1982).