Tutti Frutti Ice Cream
- Yield 16 cups
Your family will love this fruit and nut filled ice cream.
- 4 -- egg yolks
- 1 1/2 quarts half-and-half
- 2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup mashed bananas
- 1/2 cup maraschino cherries, minced
- 3/4 cup strawberries, chopped
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup pecans, chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- -- Pinch of salt
- Whisk the egg yolks in a double boiler. Add the half-and-half and sugar and mix until the sugar is dissolved. Cook over boiling water for 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat to cool. Mix in the bananas, cherries, and strawberries in a bowl. Let stand for 5 minutes. Stir the vanilla into the cooled mixture. Add the fruit mixture and pecans and stir to mix well. Stir in the lemon juice and salt. Pour into ice cream freezer container. Freeze using the manufacturer's directions.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League of Wichita Fall’s Now Serving (the Junior League of Wichita Falls, Tx., 2008).