Tuscan-Style Pasta with Cannellini
- Yield 4 servings
High in fiber, this Tuscan-style pasta dish is gently tossed with a vegetable trio – fresh escarole and flavorful, canned cannellini beans and tomatoes.
- 1 pound ziti or penne pasta
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 5 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/4 pound curly escarole, sliced or 1 small bunch arugula
- 1 -- (16-ounce) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 -- (14 1/2-ounces) diced tomatoes with juice, undrained
- 2/3 cup dry white wine or canned vegetable broth
- 1/4 teaspoon salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
- Cook pasta according to the package directions.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic and cook until slightly browned (less than a minute). Add escarole; stirring occasionally until wilted, about 2 minutes. Add beans, tomatoes with their juice and wine. Simmer 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season to taste with salt and pepper; stir in basil and heat through. Drain pasta and toss with the sauce.