Tuscan-Style Grilled Chicken Kebabs
- Yield: 4 servings
Serve them with brown rice studded with sun-dried tomatoes for a rustic and satisfying dinner.
- 1teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 2tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary or 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 2teaspoons olive oil
- 2medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled
- 1/4teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1pound boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, all visible fat discarded, cut into 16 cubes
- 16whole button or cremini mushrooms (about 1/2 ounce each), ends trimmed
- 1medium green bell pepper, cut into 16 pieces
- 16-- cherry tomatoes
- -- Cooking spray
- 1/2cup uncooked instant brown rice
- 1cup fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4cup dry-packed sun-dried tomatoes, cut into 1/4-inch squares
- In a medium nonmetallic bowl, stir together the lemon zest, lemon juice, rosemary, oil, garlic, oregano, and red pepper flakes. Add the chicken, stirring to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 15 minutes. The chicken can marinate for up to 8 hours for even more flavor. Turn several times if marinating for more than 30 minutes.
- Soak eight 8-inch wooden skewers for at least 10 minutes in cold water to keep them from charring, or use metal skewers. Preheat the grill on medium high.
- Drain the chicken and discard the marinade. Alternately thread the chicken, mushrooms, bell pepper, and tomatoes on the skewers. Lightly spray all sides with cooking spray.
- In a medium saucepan, bring the broth and tomatoes to a boil over high heat. Stir in the rice. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and let stand for about 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
- Meanwhile, grill the kebabs for 2 to 3 minutes on each side (8 to 12 minutes total), or until the chicken is no longer pink in the center and the vegetables are tender. Serve with the rice on the side.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 213
- Fat 2.5g
- Saturated Fat 0.5g
- Polyunsaturated Fat 0.5g
- Monounsaturated Fat 0.5g
- Cholesterol 66mg
- Sodium 16g
- Carbohydrate 16mg
- Fiber 3g
- Sugars 4g
- Protein 31g
- Trans Fat 0g