Chicken and Dried Fruit on Pastry
- Yield: 4 servings
- 1medium yellow onion finely diced
- 1tablespoon butter
- 1cup Vin Santo
- 1 1/2cups brown sugar
- 1teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1teaspoon ground cloves
- 1teaspoon lemon zest
- 1cup dried apricots chopped
- 1cup dried orange flavored cranberries
- 1cup dried figs chopped
- 1cup dried prunes chopped
- 1sheet (11 inch square) thawed puff pastry
- 1teaspoon Olive oil
- 4 Boneless, skinless chicken breast half (6 8 ounces)
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place the onions and butter in a sauce pan and cook until the onions are translucent. Add the Vin Santo, brown sugar, cinnamon, cloves and zest in a saucepan and bring to a boil, stirring well. Add the dried fruits, mix well and reduce heat to medium. Let cook for 10 minutes or until the fruit is tender, stirring occasionally. Reduce to simmer stirring occasionally.
- On a lightly floured surface, cut the puffed pastry into 4 identical pieces. Reserve remaining dough for another use. Using a paring knife, score a 1/2-inch border around each square. Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet, and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees, and continue to bake until puffed and golden brown, about 10 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, season chicken with salt and pepper. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken; cook until browned, turning once, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add 1/4 cup water to chicken pan. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover, and simmer until chicken is cooked through, 4 to 6 minutes. Transfer chicken to a plate; cover to keep warm.
- Using the back of a spoon, flatten inside portion of each pastry square. Place one chicken breast on top of pastry. Top with fruit mixture. Serve immediately.