Tuscan Chicken Quesadillas
- Yield: 4 servings
- 1 1/4teaspoons fresh rosemary leaves
- 5cloves garlic, minced
- 2tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1cup mayonnaise
- 1pound boneless, skinless, chicken breasts, diced
- -- Kosher salt
- -- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4ounces asiago cheese, shredded
- 4ounces fontina cheese, shredded
- 8-- (8 inch) flour tortillas
- 1tablespoon fennel seeds, toasted
- 1/3cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 2ounces prosciutto, thinly sliced (preferably smoked prosciutto)
- 1tablespoon pecorino cheese, grated (can substitute parmesan)
- -- Fresh rosemary leaves, for garnish
To prepare Rosemary Aioli, place rosemary, 2 cloves garlic, lemon juice, 3 tablespoons oil, and mayonnaise in the bowl of a food processor; process until well-combined. Refrigerate until serving.
In a large, heavy skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Add chicken to skillet and cook for 4 minutes. Add 3 cloves garlic and cook for 2 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
To assemble quesadillas, sprinkle 1/8 of asiago cheese & 1/8 of fontina cheese over a tortilla, leaving a small edge. Top with 1/4 of fennel seeds, 1/4 of basil, 1/4 of the chicken/garlic mixture, 1/4 of the prosciutto, and another 1/8 of asiago cheese & 1/8 of fontina cheese. Top with another tortilla. Repeat to make a total of 4 quesadillas.
Heat two large heavy skillets over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon oil to each. Carefully transfer a quesadilla to each skillet. With flat metal spatulas press down firmly on the quesadillas in pan; cook for about 2 minutes. Carefully flip over entire quesadillas and cook on other side, for about another 2 minutes, pressing down with spatulas. The tortillas should be golden brown and cheese should be melted. If necessary, turn the heat down if tortillas are getting too brown. Remove quesadillas from skillet. Repeat with remaining quesadillas.
Cut each quesadilla into 4 wedges and place each quesadilla on a plate (or alternately, fan out all of the wedges on a large platter). Sprinkle with pecorino cheese. Serve with Rosemary Aioli. Garnish with rosemary.
Makes 4 servings (8 appetizer servings).