Chicken Grilled Cheese Tuscano
- Yield: 4 servings
- 1/4cup extra virgin olive oil
- 8-- inch thick) slices country style Italian bread
- 1/2cup fresh basil leaves, loosely packed
- 2ounces prosciutto, thinly sliced (preferably smoked prosciutto AKA speck)
- 4ounces fontina cheese, shredded
- 4ounces asiago cheese, shredded
- 1/2cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 1/2tablespoons fennel seeds, toasted
- 3cups shredded cooked chicken (e.g., from a rotisserie chicken)
- -- Kosher salt
- -- Freshly ground black pepper
- -- Fresh basil leaves, for garnish
- Brush one side of bread slices with 2 tablespoons oil. Turn 4 of the slices over (oil-side down). Top these 4 slices with equal amounts of basil leaves, prosciutto, 1/2 the fontina cheese, 1/2 the asiago cheese, parmesan cheese, fennel seeds, chicken, a sprinkle of kosher salt, a pinch of black pepper, remaining fontina cheese, remaining 1 asiago cheese, and a slice of bread (oil-side up). This will yield 4 sandwiches.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat; add 2 sandwiches, With a flat metal spatula press down firmly on sandwiches in skillet; cook for 4 minutes or until nicely browned. Flip sandwiches and cook on other side, pressing down with spatula, for another 4 minutes or until nicely browned. Remove sandwiches, add another tablespoon of olive oil to skillet, and repeat with remaining 2 sandwiches.
- Slice sandwiches on the diagonal. Garnish with basil.