Turtle Brownie Bars
- Yield: 3 to 4 dozen
- 1-- (2-layer) package German chocolate cake mix
- 2/3cup sweetened condensed milk
- 3/4cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter, melted
- 1-- (12-ounce) package caramels
- 1/3cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1cup chopped pecans
- 1cup (6-ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- Combine the cake mix, 2/3 cup condensed milk and the butter in a bowl and mix well. Spread half the cake mix mixture over the bottom of an 11×15-inch baking pan. Bake at 350F for 15 minutes. Maintain the oven temperature.
- Heat the caramels in a saucepan over low heat until melted, stirring occasionally. Add 1/3 cup condensed milk and stir until blended. Pour the caramel mixture over the baked layer and sprinkle with the pecans and chocolate chips. Spread the remaining cake mix mixture as evenly as possible over the prepared layers and bake for 20 minutes. Let stand until cool and then cut into bars.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League of Palm Beaches’ Worth Tasting (the Junior League of Palm Beaches, Inc., West Palm Beach, Fl., 2007).