Turnip Green Pesto
- Yield: 6 servings
- 1 (16-ounce) bag fresh turnip greens, chopped
- 2tablespoons water
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2cup olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1/4teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1tablespoon lemon juice
- 3/4teaspoon salt
- 1/4teaspoon black pepper
- 1teaspoon pine nuts
- Place turnip greens in a glass bowl and add 2 tablespoons of water. Cover with waxed paper, and microwave on high power for 4 minutes.
- In the meantime, mince the garlic and add to a small bowl with 1/2 cup oil. Whisk in the crushed red pepper, lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- Uncover greens and drain.
- Transfer to the bowl of a food processor and add the oil mixture. Process until finely chopped and transfer to a chilled serving bowl. Garnish with pine nuts, and serve with assorted crackers. Makes 1 cup.
Reprinted with permission from Tammy Algood’s In a Snap: Tasty Southern Recipes You Can Make in 5, 10, 15, or 30 Minutes (Thomas Nelson, 2013).