Turkey Vegetable Soup
- Yield 4 servings
This hearty vegetable soup combines all of your favorite veggies in a savory turkey broth.
- Turkey Broth:
- 2 1/2 pounds turkey wings
- 5 cups cold water
- 2 -- onions, quartered
- 1 -- carrot, cut in chunks
- 1 -- bay leaf
- 5 -- black peppercorns
- 2 -- cubes low-sodium chicken bouillon or turkey broth
- Turkey Soup:
- 1 -- ear corn, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 -- stalk celery, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 -- medium zucchini, cut into 1/2- to 3/4-inch slices
- 4 -- medium tomatoes, peeled and cut into quarters
- 1 cup sugar-snap peas or green beans
- 1 -- medium leek, well rinsed and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup Lima beans
- 3 tablespoons pearl barley
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped; or 1 tablespoon dry
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh oregano, chopped; or 1/2 teaspoon dry
- 1 -- clove garlic, mashed with 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup broccoli flowerettes
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen peas
- In a 5-quart saucepan combine all seven ingredients. Bring to a boil over high heat. Skim off any foam. Reduce heat, cover and simmer mixture for 1 to 1 1/4 hours, or until turkey is tender.
- Remove turkey from cooking liquid and allow to cool. Remove poultry from bones, discard skin and bones. Cube poultry; cover and refrigerate.
- Strain broth. Discard seasoning, vegetables and spices. Skim off any remaining fat. Return broth to saucepan.
- Add first eight vegetables, barley and seasonings to broth. Over high heat, bring mixture to a boil. Cover and immediately reduce heat to a simmer. Cook 20 minutes or until all vegetables are tender.
- Add reserved turkey, broccoli and peas; gently cook 5 to 10 minutes. Adjust seasoning to taste.