Turkey Tamale Casserole
- Yield: 12 to 15 servings
- 1-- onion, chopped
- 1-- red pepper, chopped
- 2small zucchini, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 1 1/2 - 2cups cooked turkey or chicken, cubed
- 1cup frozen corn kernels
- 1can hominy, drained
- 1can green enchilada sauce
- 1-- small can black oilices, sliced
- 1 1/4cups corn meal
- 1cup water
- 3/4cup milk
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 2/3cup Cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 375F. In a pot, cook onions, pepper and zucchini over medium heat until soft. Add turkey, corn, hominy, enchilada sauce and olives. Pour into a greased 9×13-inch casserole. Top with prepared cornmeal mixture. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes.
- To make cornmeal mixture: In a saucepan, combine cornmeal, water, milk and salt. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, for 5-7 minutes or until thickened.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League of Ogden’s Art of Cooking (the Junior League of Ogden, Utah, 2003).