Turkey, Red Pepper, Arugula, and Hominy Soup
- Yield: servings
- 2teaspoons olive oil
- 1/4cup chopped yellow onions
- 1large red bell pepper, diced
- 1teaspoon salt
- 8cups chicken or turkey stock
- 1bunch arugula, well washed and leaves chopped
- 2 (15-ounce) cans hominy, drained
- 12ounces shredded cooked roast turkey
- Heat the oil in a large stockpot and cook the onions until they are translucent, about 7 minutes. Add the diced red peppers and cook until they soften, about 5 to 7 more minutes. Add the salt and stir.
- Add the stock and bring the soup to a boil.
- Add the chopped arugula and turn the heat down to a simmer. Simmer the soup for 5 minutes or until the arugula is completely wilted.
- Stir in the hominy and shredded turkey. Remove the soup from the heat and serve it immediately.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container, refrigerated, for up to 5 days. Alternately, store the completely cooled soup in airtight containers, frozen, for up to 3 months.
Reprinted with permission from “The Complete Allergy-Free Comfort Foods Cookbook” by Elizabeth Gordon, Lyons Press