Turkey Pumpernickel Strata
- Yield 4 servings
This strata features pumpernickel bread cubes baked with smoked turkey, mushrooms, onion and pimiento, topped with cheddar cheese.
- 4 -- slices pumpernickel bread, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- -- Vegetable cooking spray
- 1 cup smoked dark turkey, drained
- 1 -- (4-ounce) can mushrooms, drained
- 1 -- (2-ounce) jar pimientos, drained
- 1 tablespoon dried onion
- 1 tablespoon dried chives
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup Cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 4 -- eggs, beaten
- On 10 x 15 x 2-inch jellyroll pan, arrange bread cubes. Bake 5 to 10 minutes in 400F oven or until cubes are dry. Reserve 1/2 cup of bread cubes for topping.
- In bottom of lightly oiled 9-inch square baking dish layer bread cubes.
- In medium-size bowl combine smoked turkey, mushrooms, pimiento, onion, chives, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Spread turkey mixture over bread cube layer and top with cheese. Sprinkle reserved bread cubes over cheese.
- In same bowl combine milk and eggs; pour over top of bread layer. Cover dish and refrigerate overnight.
- In preheated 325F oven, bake strata 50 to 60 minutes or until knife inserted in center of strata comes out clean. Allow strata to stand 10 to 15 minutes before serving.