Turkey Pot Pie with Puff Pastry Crust
- Yield: 6 servings
- 3cups milk (whole, low-fat or fat-free)
- 5tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2teaspoons dried thyme
- 1teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 1/2teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 6cups chopped turkey meat
- 1pound frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 (17-ounce) box frozen puffed pastry, thawed
- Preheat oven to 375F. Place milk in a large saucepan, set over medium heat, and whisk in flour until dissolved. Continue whisking over heat until thick and bubbling.
- Whisk in Worcestershire sauce, mustard, thyme, onion powder, salt and pepper. Cook, whisking constantly, 1 minute. Stir in turkey and vegetables; pour into a 13-by-9-inch baking dish.
- Cover top of casserole with 2 sheets of puff pastry placed end-to-end and overlapped slightly in the middle; trim off any excess that hangs over edges. If desired, cut excess dough into patterns or designs with cookie cutters and lay on top of pastry.
- Bake about 50 minutes or until top is browned and puffed and filling is bubbling. Let stand at room temperature 5 minutes before serving.
Recipe by Bruce Weinstein and Mark Scarbrough