Turkey Pot Pie, Reduced Fat
- Yield: 8 servings
- 2 (9-inch) purchased pie crusts
- 3cups turkey meat, light and dark, torn into small pieces, smoked if possible
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into julienne strips
- 3 medium red potatoes, cubed (not peeled)
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen baby peas
- 1teaspoon dry tarragon
- 1teaspoon dry parsley
- 1/2teaspoon black pepper
- Other herbs and spices as desired
- 3tablespoons cornstarch
- 3cups cold nonfat milk
- 2tablespoons butter
- 1cup turkey gravy, preferably home made (or substitute reduced-sodium chicken broth)
- Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Place one crust in deep dish pie plate. Line with waxed paper and fill with dry beans or weights. Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven to a cooling rack. Remove beans and wax paper.
- Meanwhile, boil potatoes for 5 to 10 minutes until tender, but not falling apart. Microwave peas for 3 minutes.
- Line the pie crust with turkey. Add the potatoes and peas. Combine parsley, tarragon, black pepper (and other herbs and spices as desired). Sprinkle over vegetables in the pie plate.
- Combine the cornstarch and milk in a medium pan, stirring until smooth. Add butter and pepper. Bring to boil, stirring constantly; reduce heat, lightly boil 1 minute. Add gravy (or broth) and stir. Stir and cook until thickened. Pour the sauce over the meat and vegetables in the pie plate.
- Cover the pie with top crust; crimp edges. Make six ½-inch slits in the crust to allow steam to escape.
- Bake at 375F for about 1 hour, until contents are bubbling through the slits in the crust.
Recipe by Mary Jo Cutler, Massachusetts. Reprinted with permission from John Wiley & Sons, Inc. The American Dietetic Association’s Cooking Healthy Across America (Wiley, 2004).
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 260
- Fat 7g
- Saturated Fat 3g
- Cholesterol 50mg
- Sodium 180mg
- Carbohydrate 26g
- Fiber 4g
- Protein 23g