Turkey Lettuce Cups
- Yield 4 servings
Take your typical taco, swap the tortilla for a lettuce leaf, add Asian herbs and spices, and you get these Thai-flavored Turkey Lettuce Cups from Food Network star Giada De Laurentiis.
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (1 large lemon)
- 1 tablespoon Thai fish sauce (available in the ethnic foods aisle of your grocery store)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 -- red onion, diced
- 3 small shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 -- 4-inch piece of lemongrass, minced (1/4 c)
- 1 -- serrano chile, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 pounds ground lean turkey
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup mint leaves, chopped
- 1 head butter lettuce, separated
- 1. For dressing, whisk together lime and lemon juices, fish sauce and honey. Set aside.
- 2. Heat oil in skillet over medium heat. Add onion, shallots, lemongrass (if using) and chile. Cook until vegetables begin to soften (about 5 minutes). Add turkey. Cook, stirring frequently, until meat and vegetables are cooked through (about 5 minutes).
- 3. Add dressing to the pan and cook for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in mint. Season with salt and pepper.
- 4. Divide turkey mixture among four lettuce leaves and serve.
Reprinted from Weeknights with Giada by Giada De Laurentiis, copyright © 2012. Photos © 2012 by Amy Neunsinger. Published by Clarkson Potter/Publishers, a division of Random House, Inc.