Turkey Ham and Corn Chowder
- Yield 8 servings
This reduced-fat recipe features creamy corn chowder with red and green peppers and savory turkey.
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 quart skim milk
- 2 cups frozen hash brown potatoes
- 2 -- (11-ounce) cans corn with red and green peppers, drained
- 3/4 pound turkey ham, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- In 3-quart saucepan, over medium-high heat, saute onions in hot oil for 3 minutes or until translucent. Blend in flour and pepper. Cook for a few minutes until lightly golden brown. Remove pan from heat; slowly add milk, stirring constantly.
- Return pan to heat and stir until thickened. Add potatoes; bring mixture to boil, stirring constantly. Add corn and turkey ham; return mixture to boil.
- Immediately reduce heat to low and simmer soup 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender and mixture has thickened.