Turkey Chili with Cilantro and Green Onion Pesto
- Yield 6 servings
A simple pesto made with pistachios, cilantro and green onion deliver so much flavor, you’ll never eat chili without it again.
Chili is one of the easiest dishes to turn into a healthful meal. In this version, ground lean turkey is used and the proportion of ingredients is tipped in favor of the veggies.
- 1 pound ground lean turkey
- 1 cup diced red onion
- 1 cup diced green bell pepper
- 1 cup diagonally sliced carrots
- 2 medium zucchini (total 1 pound), quartered lenghwise and sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (15 1/2-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon chili powder, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 (7 1/2-ounce) can chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
- 3 cups hot cooked brown rice
- 3 tablespoons pistachio nuts
- 1 1/3 cups packed fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup packed fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 3 green onions (white and light green parts), chopped
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- To prepare chili, heat a Dutch oven or large pot over medium-high heat. Crumble turkey into pot; cook, stirring to crumble, until turkey is browned. Add onion, green pepper, carrots and zucchini. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is softened, about 8 minutes. Add tomatoes, beans, water, chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt and pepper.
- Remove 2 chiles and 1 teaspoon adobo sauce from can; reserve remaining chiles and sauce for another use. Mince the chiles; add minced chiles and the 1 teaspoon adobo sauce to chili; stir to combine. Cover and bring to a simmer, reduce heat and simmer 45 minutes.
- To prepare pesto, place pistachios in processor and finely chop. Add cilantro, parsley and onion; pulse to coarsely chop. With motor running, add water, oil, lime juice, cheese, salt and pepper and process until blended. (Makes about 3/4 cup pesto).
- Serve chili with rice and pesto.