Turkey and Broccoli Casserole
- Yield 10 servings
Add broccoli, rice and cheese to leftover turkey for a great after-the-holiday dinner.
"I like to use this recipe after Thanksgiving or Christmas because it's a good way to use leftover turkey. If I don't have turkey, I use chicken, which is just as good. My family enjoys this dish very much."
- 1 (16-ounce) package frozen broccoli florets, or 2 1/2 cups chopped fresh broccoli
- 3 cups cooked long-grain rice
- 4 cups chopped cooked turkey, light and dark meat
- 1 1/3 cups sliced fresh button mushrooms, or 1 (7-ounce) jar sliced mushrooms, drained
- 6 ounces Cheddar or American cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (10-ounce) can reduced-fat cream of mushroom soup
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (2-ounce) can French-fried onions
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a 13 x 9-inch glass baking dish.
- Cook broccoli by steaming until barely tender; drain well. Layer rice, broccoli, turkey, mushrooms and cheese in prepared pan. Pour broth evenly over the top.
- Combine soup, mayonnaise, salt and pepper in a small bowl; mix well. Spoon over top of the casserole, using back of a spoon to spread evenly. Sprinkle onions over top. Bake, uncovered, 35 to 40 minutes, until golden.
Recipe by Jo Ann Reid, Salisbury, N.C.