Turkey Bread Pudding Florentine
- Yield 10 servings
An outstanding brunch recipe that can be made the night before and popped into the oven to cook in the morning.
- 5 -- eggs
- 4 -- egg whites
- 3 cups skim milk
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- -- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 -- (16-ounce) loaf day-old French bread, cut into 16 slices, divided
- 1/2 pound mushrooms, sliced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 -- onion, chopped
- 2 -- (10-ounce) boxes frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups shredded, reduced-fat Swiss cheese, divided
- 1 cup cooked, chopped turkey
- Coat a 13 x 9-inch pan with cooking spray.
- Beat eggs, egg whites, milk, mustard, salt and pepper together in a large bowl; set aside. Place half the bread slices in pan.
- Coat a skillet with nonstick cooking spray. Add mushrooms, garlic and onions; saute over medium-high heat until tender. Add spinach and flour, stirring to mix well.
- Spread mixture over bread layer. Sprinkle with 1 cup of cheese and turkey. Top with remaining bread. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup of cheese. Pour egg mixture over top, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate 2 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Bake 40 to 50 minutes, until puffed and golden. Serve immediately.
Recipe by Holly Clegg, a cookbook writer in Baton Rouge, La.