Turkey Barley Chili
- Yield: 10 to 12 servings
- 3cups water
- 1-- (16-ounce) jar salsa or tomato sauce (or mixture of both)
- 1-- (14 1/2-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1-- (14 1/2-ounce) can chicken broth
- 1cup quick cooking barley
- 1tablespoon chili powder
- 1teaspoon cumin
- 1-- (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1-- (15-ounce) can corn
- 1 1/2loaves cooked ground turkey or chopped, cooked chicken breast (3 cups)
- -- Shredded cheese and sour cream (optional)
- In large saucepan over medium heat, combine water, salsa, tomatoes, broth, barley, chili powder and cumin. Bring to boil. Cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add beans, corn, and turkey. Bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer another 5 minutes, or until barley is tender. Add additional broth or water if chili is too thick. Garnish with cheese and sour cream, if desired.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Junior League of Athens’ Beyond the Hedges (the Junior League of Athens, Georgia, 2007).