Turkey Barley Chili
- Yield 10 to 12 servings
A healthier version of your typical chili recipe.
- 3 cups water
- 1 -- (16-ounce) jar salsa or tomato sauce (or mixture of both)
- 1 -- (14 1/2-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 -- (14 1/2-ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 cup quick cooking barley
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 -- (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 -- (15-ounce) can corn
- 1 1/2 loaves cooked ground turkey or chopped, cooked chicken breast (3 cups)
- -- Shredded cheese and sour cream (optional)
- In large saucepan over medium heat, combine water, salsa, tomatoes, broth, barley, chili powder and cumin. Bring to boil. Cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add beans, corn, and turkey. Bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer another 5 minutes, or until barley is tender. Add additional broth or water if chili is too thick. Garnish with cheese and sour cream, if desired.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Junior League of Athens’ Beyond the Hedges (the Junior League of Athens, Georgia, 2007).