Turkey and Vegetable Couscous
- Yield 6 servings
This dish combines sauteed onions, squash, zucchini and chick peas with marinated turkey and couscous, sprinkled with Feta cheese.
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless turkey breast, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 -- large onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1 pound (1 small) butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 -- medium carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 -- large lemon, thinly sliced
- 1 -- (3 1/2 ounce) jar capers, drained and rinsed
- 12 -- kalamata olives, pitted
- 1 -- (14 1/2 ounce) can reduced-sodium, fat free chicken broth
- 1 -- large zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 -- large green pepper, seeded and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 -- Roma tomatoes, cut into quarters
- 1 -- (15 ounce) can chick peas, drained and rinsed
- 6 -- servings couscous
- 1/2 teaspoon tumeric
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 1 -- (4 ounce) package Feta cheese, crumbled
- In large self-closing plastic bag, combine oil, vinegar, rosemary, thyme, salt and pepper. Add turkey cubes. Close bag and knead to combine turkey and oil mixture. Refrigerate overnight.
- Lightly coat a 5-quart saucepan with vegetable spray. Over medium-high heat, brown turkey in batches, removing each batch when browned.
- Re-spray pan. Add onion and garlic; saute about 2 minutes or until onion is tender. Add squash and carrots and cook about 1 minute.
- Add lemon, capers and olives, stirring to combine. Pour in chicken broth and bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for 25 minutes.
- Add zucchini, green pepper, tomatoes and chick peas to turkey/vegetable mixture. Return to boil; reduce heat and simmer an additional 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Prepare couscous according to package directions and add tumeric.
- Stir raisins into cooked couscous. Arrange on large platter and top with turkey mixture. Sprinkle with Feta cheese.