Turkey and Tomato Bolognese Sauce
- Yield 12 cups
Try this light and healthy Bolognese sauce.
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1/2 -- onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped carrot
- 2 -- ribs celery, chopped
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 2 -- (28-ounce) cans peeled whole tomatoes with basil
- 5 or 6 -- basil leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- -- Salt and pepper taste
- 1/2 cup low-fat or light ricotta cheese
- Brown the turkey in a saucepan, stirring until crumbly. Add the onion, carrot, celerey and garlic. Add the wine and cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes, basil, parsley, thyme, salt and pepper.
- Simmer the sauce for 30 minutes. Add the cheese and pulse with a hand-held blender until smooth.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Cal-a-Vie Living: Gourmet Spa Cuisine (Cal-a-Vie, The Spa Havens, 2007).