Tunnel of Fudge Cake
- Yield 20 servings
- Prep 13 mins
- Cook 45 mins
Double the decadence and serve this rich fudgy cake warm from the oven with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 1 3/4 cups butter, softened
- 6 -- eggs
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 cups chopped walnuts or pecans
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 2 to 3 tablespoons milk or half and half
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a 12-cup Bundt pan with butter and dust with flour.
- Combine flour and cocoa powder and set aside. In a large bowl, cream sugar and butter until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Gradually add confectioners’ sugar and mix thoroughly. Stir in flour mixture by hand until well blended. Gently stir in nuts. (Batter will be thick.) Spoon batter into prepared pan.
- Bake 45 to 50 minutes or until the top is set and the edges begin to pull away from sides of pan. Cool upright in pan on wire rack for 1 1/2 hours to allow fudge to set. Invert onto serving plate to cool thoroughly.
- To prepare glaze, combine confectioners’ sugar and cocoa. Add 2 tablespoons milk. Mix thoroughly, adding only enough milk to create a smooth but pourable glaze. Spoon glaze over top of cake, allowing some to run down sides.
—Recipe reprinted with permission from Susanna Short’s Bundt Cake Bliss (Minnesota Historical Society Press, mnhs.org/market/mhspress, 2007).