- Yield: 6 servings
- 1/2loaf day-old crusty bread or 2 crusty day-old rolls
- 1 to 1 1/4pound tuna steaks, 1-inch thick (2 big steaks)
- 1cup white wine
- -- Water
- 1-- bay leaf
- 1teaspoon peppercorns
- 1tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil—1 turn of the pan
- 4tablespoons butter, divided
- 2large shallots, chopped
- 16small button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- -- Salt and pepper
- 1 1/2teaspoons ground thyme or poultry seasoning
- 2tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2cups chicken stock
- 1/2cup heavy cream or half-and-half
- 1cup baby frozen peas
- 1pound extra-wide egg noodles, cooked to al dente, or 12-ounces (1 box) egg fettuccini
- -- Chopped fresh parsley leaves, to garnish
- Place bread in warm oven, 250 degrees F, to dry and toast, 20 minutes.
- Place tuna in a skillet and add wine, then water—just enough to cover fish. Add bay leaf and peppercorns. Bring liquids to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer and cover skillet. Poach fish for 12 minutes.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add oil, 1 turn of the pan, and 2 tablespoons butter—reserve remaining 2 tablespoons butter. Add shallots and mushrooms and season with salt and pepper. Sauté gently for 5 minutes. Sprinkle in ground thyme or poultry seasoning and flour and cook flour 1 minute, stirring with whisk. Whisk in stock, then cream. Adjust seasonings. Add peas.
- Remove cooked, poached tuna to a bowl and flake fish with a fork.
- Add cooked noodles and tuna to sauce. Remove sauce from heat and transfer mixture to a casserole or serving dish. Use the widest cutting edge on a box grater to grate the bread into large crumbs.
- Melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter in a small cup in microwave and pour melted butter over bread. Scatter buttery bread crumbs and parsley over the top of the casserole. Serve immediately.