Tuna-Apple Salad Sandwich
- Yield 4 servings
Make this sandwich with either light tuna, which has a stronger flavor and is very low in fat, or white albacore, with its milder flavor and small amount of healthy fat. I add curry powder and apple to give this lunch classic a flavor boost.
- 2 (5-ounce) cans water-packed light or white tune, drained well
- 1/3 cup light mayonnaise
- 1/2 medium apple, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons pickle relish
- 1 tablespoon mild curry powder
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 8 slices 100% whole-wheat bread, toasted if desired
- 4 leaves lettuce
- 4 slices tomato
- 12 slices apple, thinly sliced for garnish (optional)
- Combine the tuna, mayonnaise, apple, celery, relish, and curry powder, if using, in a medium bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
- Divide the salad evenly among 4 slices of bread. Top each with a lettuce leaf, tomato slice, and a second slice of bread. Garnish with apple slices, if desired.
From THE ULTIMATE VOLUMETRICS DIET, compliments of William Morrow, an imprint of HarperCollins Publishers