Tuna and Barley Nicoise
- Yield: 8 servings
Use fresh basil if possible. Prepare and arrange ahead, refrigerate and drizzle dressing before serving.
- Grilled Tuna:
- 1/4cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1tablespoon maple syrup
- 1tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 6-- (3/4-inch thick) slices tuna, approximately 2 pounds
- 1/2cup lemon juice
- 2tablespoons olive oil
- 1tablespoon fresh chopped basil
- 1teaspoon minced garlic
- 4cups water
- 1cup uncooked pearl barley
- 3/4pound green beans
- 2large hard boiled eggs, sliced
- 1/2-- red onion, thinly sliced
- 2-- plum tomatoes, cut into wedges
- -- Cracked pepper
- -- Salt and pepper to taste
- To prepare tuna: Combine soy sauce, maple syrup, and horseradish. Add tuna and chill 1 hour, turning occasionally. Remove tuna, discard marinade and grill or cook in a nonstick skillet on high heat for several minutes on each side; tuna is served rare; set aside.
- To prepare the salad: In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, olive oil, basil and garlic; set aside. Bring 4 cups water to a boil and add barley. Reduce heat and continue cooking until barley is done, about 45 minutes; set aside. Cook green beans in a small amount of water in microwave or on stove top until crisp tender; drain and set aside.
- To assemble, transfer barley to a serving platter and arrange tuna on top. Arrange green beans, eggs, onion and tomato around tuna. Drizzle with dressing.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 293
- Fat 6g
- Saturated Fat 1g
- Cholesterol 106mg
- Sodium 323mg
- Carbohydrate 29g
- Fiber 6g
- Protein 31g