Tumbleweed High Fiber Muffins
- Yield: 2 dozen
- 3-- egg whites
- 1/2cup water
- 1/2cup vegetable oil
- 2cups low-fat buttermilk
- 2 1/2cups flour
- 2 1/2teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2teaspoons cinnamon
- 2cups bran cereal (not flakes)
- 1cup quick-cooking oats
- 1cup oat bran hot cereal, dry
- 1cup sugar substitute
- 4-- bananas, mashed (optional)
- 1cup raisins
- In a small bowl, combine egg whites, water, oil and buttermilk. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, soda, salt and cinnamon and then add remaining dry ingredients and stir to mix. Add buttermilk mixture to dry ingredients and stir, just until moistened. Stir in mashed bananas and raisins if desired.
- Spray muffin tins with nonstick cooking spray or line with paper cups. Fill 2/3 full and bake at 400F for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown.
Note: This recipe doubles nicely and batter stores well in refrigerator.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Junior League of Enid’s Stir Ups (Enid, Oklahoma, 1982).