Tumbleweed High Fiber Muffins
- Yield 2 dozen
These muffins are high in fiber and full of flavor.
- 3 -- egg whites
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups low-fat buttermilk
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 cups bran cereal (not flakes)
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 cup oat bran hot cereal, dry
- 1 cup sugar substitute
- 4 -- bananas, mashed (optional)
- 1 cup raisins
- In a small bowl, combine egg whites, water, oil and buttermilk. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, soda, salt and cinnamon and then add remaining dry ingredients and stir to mix. Add buttermilk mixture to dry ingredients and stir, just until moistened. Stir in mashed bananas and raisins if desired.
- Spray muffin tins with nonstick cooking spray or line with paper cups. Fill 2/3 full and bake at 400F for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown.
Note: This recipe doubles nicely and batter stores well in refrigerator.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Junior League of Enid’s Stir Ups (Enid, Oklahoma, 1982).