Tropical Couscous Salad
- Yield 8 to 10 servings
This low-fat couscous creation will be the talk of the table.
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 cups couscous
- 1 -- (15-ounce) can mandarin oranges, drained and reserve juice
- 1 cup peas (if using frozen, defrost)
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange rind
- dash cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- In a saucepan, bring orange juice, water, olive oil and ginger to a boil. Add couscous, stir, remove from heat. Cover and let stand 7 minutes. Transfer couscous to a bowl and add oranges, peas, green onions, cranberries and orange rind, mixing well. In a small bowl whisk together cayenne, lemon juice and 1/3 cup of reserved mandarin juice and toss with salad. Add walnuts. Refrigerate.