Tropical Chicken Skewers with Mango Yogurt Dipping Sauce
- Yield 6 servings
- Prep 15 mins
- Cook 10 mins
Grilled pineapple and chicken on skewers—perfect for a backyard party for kids.
- Fruit and Chicken:
- 1/2 small ripe pineapple, peeled, cored
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (5 to 7 ounces each)
- 2 red bell peppers
- 6 (12-inch) bamboo skewers, soaked in cold water for at least 30 minutes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Cooking spray
- Mango Dipping Sauce:
- 1 large mango, chopped
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt
- 1 small jalapeño pepper, seeded and coarsely chopped (optional)
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 green onion, coarsely chopped
- To prepare dipping sauce, place mango in a food processor or blender. Add yogurt, jalapeño, lime juice, green onion, and salt; pulse until smooth. The sauce can be refrigerated up to 2 days.
- To prepare fruit and chicken, cut pineapple into 12 pieces. Cut chicken into 24 pieces. Cut red bell peppers into 24 pieces. Thread fruit, bell pepper and chicken onto skewers (allowing kids to arrange the ingredients). Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Lightly spray grill grate with cooking spray. Heat charcoal or gas grill to medium hot.
- Place skewers on grill and cook 5 to 7 minutes per side, turning as needed, until chicken is thoroughly cooked.
- Serve skewers with dipping sauce.
Recipe adapted from The Family Kitchen: Easy and Delicious Recipes for Parents and Kids to Make and Enjoy Together by Debra Ponzek (© 2006. Published by Clarkson/Potter Publishers, a division of Random House, Inc.).