Triple Onion Chicken
- Yield: 4 servings
"I like to fix this dish when we have company because you prepare it the day before and have time to visit the day you serve it. It tastes delicious."
- 2 bacon slices
- 2cups sliced white mushrooms
- 3 leeks, well rinsed, trimmed, and cut in julienne strips (white part only)
- 1medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1/2cup light sour cream
- 1/2cup half-and-half cream
- 1/4cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 (1-ounce) package dry onion-mushroom soup mix
- 1/2teaspoon paprika
- 1/4teaspoon salt
- 1/4teaspoon pepper
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves (1 to 1 1/2 pounds)
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Cook bacon until crisp. Remove and drain. Discard all but 2 tablespoon fat. Add mushrooms, leeks and onion to pan. Cook 8 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from heat and cool slightly. Add sour cream, half-and-half, cheese, soup mix, paprika, salt and pepper.
- Coat a 13 x 9-inch glass baking dish with cooking spray. Arrange chicken in pan. Pour cooled mushroom mixture evenly over chicken. Crumble bacon over top. Cover with plastic wrap; refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Remove plastic wrap and bake, uncovered, 1 hour.
Recipe by Helgard Suhr-Hollis, New Braunfuls, Texas