Tri-Color Salad with Parmesan and Pine Nuts
- Yield 6 to 8 servings
- Prep 15 minutes
Three types of lettuce lend this salad an unexpected depth of flavor enriched by the mustardy vinaigrette.
- 1 head endive (about 1 1/2 cups), coarsely chopped
- 1 head radicchio (about 3 cups), coarsely chopped
- 7 ounces baby arugula (about 5 cups)
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup (about 1 ounce) coarsely shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) pine nuts, toasted
- Combine all the lettuces in a large salad bowl and toss them together.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the balsamic vinegar, mustard, and salt. Pour the olive oil into the bowl in a steady stream, whisking continuously until the mixture is emulsified.
- Drizzle some of the vinaigrette over the lettuces; add the Parmesan and pine nuts. Toss everything together with large salad tongs. Add more dressing bit by bit if needed.
Reprinted with permission by The Naptime Chef by Kelsey Banfield, Running Press, 2012