- 3/4cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter, softened
- 1 1/2cups sugar, divided
- 1 1/2teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
- 5 eggs
- 1 1/2cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2teaspoons baking powder
- 1teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1cup whole milk
- 1 (12-ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 2cups heavy cream
- 1tablespoon rum
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease and flour a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- Combine butter and 1 cup sugar in a large bowl. Beat with a mixer at medium speed until fluffy. Add 1 teaspoon vanilla. Beat in eggs one at a time, mixing well.
- Combine flour, baking powder and cream of tartar. Add to butter mixture slowly and beat well. Spread batter in pan. Bake 25 to 30 minutes, until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool.
- Stir together milk, evaporated milk and condensed milk. Pour 3 cups over cake. Reserve remaining milk mixture to serve with cake. Refrigerate cake.
- Combine heavy cream, remaining ½ cup sugar, remaining ½ teaspoon vanilla and rum. Beat until thick and spread over cake. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Pour leftover milk mixture onto dessert plates. Slice chilled cake into squares and place on dessert plates. Garnish with fresh berries, if using.
Recipe by Robin Noelle, a food writer in San Diego, Calif.
For a complete menu featuring Tres Leches Cake, along with 11 more simple menus for year round entertaining, check out our Supper Club Menus Recipe App for the iPad on iTunes.
blog comments powered by
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 440
- Fat 26g
- Cholesterol 140mg
- Sodium 230mg
- Carbohydrate 45g
- Fiber 0g
- Protein 8g