- 3/4cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter, softened
- 1 1/2cups sugar, divided
- 1 1/2teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
- 5 eggs
- 1 1/2cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2teaspoons baking powder
- 1teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1cup whole milk
- 1 (12-ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 2cups heavy cream
- 1tablespoon rum
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease and flour a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- Combine butter and 1 cup sugar in a large bowl. Beat with a mixer at medium speed until fluffy. Add 1 teaspoon vanilla. Beat in eggs one at a time, mixing well.
- Combine flour, baking powder and cream of tartar. Add to butter mixture slowly and beat well. Spread batter in pan. Bake 25 to 30 minutes, until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool.
- Stir together milk, evaporated milk and condensed milk. Pour 3 cups over cake. Reserve remaining milk mixture to serve with cake. Refrigerate cake.
- Combine heavy cream, remaining ½ cup sugar, remaining ½ teaspoon vanilla and rum. Beat until thick and spread over cake. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Pour leftover milk mixture onto dessert plates. Slice chilled cake into squares and place on dessert plates. Garnish with fresh berries, if using.
Recipe by Robin Noelle, a food writer in San Diego, Calif.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 440
- Fat 26g
- Cholesterol 140mg
- Sodium 230mg
- Carbohydrate 45g
- Fiber 0g
- Protein 8g