Traditional Mashed Idaho Potatoes
- Yield 4 to 6 servings
Nothing beats the taste of traditional mashed potatoes!
- 2 pounds Idaho potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 3/4 cup hot milk (1%, 2%, or whole milk)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Optional Add-Ins:
- 1/2 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped parsley or dill
- Place potatoes in large pot and add enough cold water to cover the potatoes. Cook 13 to 15 minutes or until very tender. Drain potatoes in colander.
- Return cooked potatoes to pot and stir over medium heat, about 1 minute, until excess water has evaporated.
- With potato masher, mash in hot milk, butter, salt and pepper. Beat with wooden spoon until potatoes are smooth and creamy. Stir in any optional add-ins, if desired.