Tossed Salad with Apples and Cashews
- Yield 6-8 servings
"This recipe is from a missionary currently serving with her family in Africa. I make it often. It always sparks positive comments."
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon chopped onion
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 1 small head lettuce
- 5 ounces fresh baby spinach
- 2 large Granny Smith apples, sliced very thin
- 1/2 pound Swiss cheese, grated
- 1 (9 1/4-ounce) tin cashews (halves or pieces)
- Heat the sugar, mustard, salt, vinegar, and onion until the sugar is dissolved. Do not boil. Add the water, oil, and poppy seeds. Chill slightly.
- Toss together the lettuce, spinach, apples, cheese, and cashews. Serve with the dressing on the side.
Recipe by Elizabeth Mann, Swanton, Ohio