Tortilla Meatball Soup
- Yield 4 servings
- Cook 30 minutes
A soup brimming with veggies, lean meat, whole grain corn and low-fat dairy.
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 (14-ounce can) reduced-sodium beef broth
- 2 cups water
- 8 ounces lean ground beef, pinched into teaspoon-sized free-form meatballs
- 1 (15-ounce) can pinto beans, drained, rinsed
- 1 (14-ounce) can diced no-salt-added tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
- 6 ounces nonfat plain yogurt
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- Tortilla chips or homemade baked tortilla strips (optional)
- Heat oil in large stockpot over medium heat. Add onion; cook until onion is tender, stirring occasionally, 3 to 5 minutes Add cumin; cook and stir 1 minute. Pour in beef broth and water; increase heat to high. While water comes to a boil, pinch ground beef into teaspoon-sized free-formed meatballs and place on a plate. When soup is boiling, slide in meatballs. Stir well, and simmer until meat is cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in beans, tomatoes and corn; cook until heated through. Stir in lime juice and serve with toppings.
For more dinner recipes under 400 calories and with less than 20 grams of fat, check out our FREE 25 Dinners on a Diet Recipe Collection for the iPad on iTunes.