Tortilla Espanol (Tortilla de Patatas)
- Yield 6 servings
- Prep 15 mins
- Cook 20 mins
This omelet-like dish is perfect as a light appetizer.
In Spain “tortilla” refers to a thin omelet. Bagged precooked potatoes will work beautifully here.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup cubed, cooked, peeled potato
- 6 eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Salsa Rosa:
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon tomato sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon Spanish (smoked) paprika
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and potato and sauté 2 to 5 minutes. Add eggs, salt and pepper. Mix together with a spatula to cook the layers of egg; after 1 or 2 minutes let the bottom set. Scrape edge of egg mixture from edge of pan, pushing gently toward the middle, but not slicing through, so that you have a thick omelet coming together.
- Slide omelet onto a plate. Add remaining tablespoon oil to skillet. Invert plate over skillet to return omelet to pan, cooked side up. Cook 2 to 3 minutes until browned. Remove from pan, cool and serve.
- To prepare the Salsa Rosa, whisk all ingredients together and chill.
Recipe by Jeanette Hurt