Creamy Tortellini and Chicken Sausage Soup
- olive oil
- 1small yellow onion, chopped
- 3cloves garlic, minced
- 6 chicken sausage links, sliced (I used a garlic and mozzarella variety)
- 4cups chicken broth
- 1can (28 oz) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1can (14 oz) tomato sauce
- 1large zucchini, sliced
- 19ounces frozen tortellini
- 4cups baby spinach
- 1/2cup heavy cream
- 1/2cup Parmesan cheese
- 1/4cup fresh basil, roughly chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- additional basil and Parmesan cheese for topping
- Coat the bottom of a large dutch oven with olive oil and heat over medium heat. Add the onion and saute until softened, about 4 minutes. Add the garlic and saute until fragrant. Add the sliced chicken sausage and cook, stirring occasionally until heated through.
- Stir in the chicken broth, diced tomatoes, and tomato sauce and bring the mixture to a boil. Add the zucchini and cook for 2 minutes, then add the frozen tortellini and cook for another 5 minutes, or until tortellini is tender and hot clear through.
- Remove the mixture from heat, and stir in the spinach until wilted. Stir in the cream, Parmesan cheese, basil, and parsley. Season to taste with salt and pepper if needed. Serve warm with additional fresh basil and Parmesan cheese for topping, if desired.
This recipe from NeighborFood for Alimentari Mag was republished with permission. It originally appeared as Creamy Chicken Sausage, Tomato, and Tortellini Soup.