Tortelli di Zucca
- Yield: 8 to 10 servings
- 2 1/4pounds butternut or Kabocha squash or sweet potatoes
- 3cups freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- 3 to 4tablespoons soft breadcrumbs, if needed
- 1 recipe Fresh Egg Pasta
- 8 to 10tablespoons unsalted butter
- Peel and cut squash or potatoes in large chunks. Put in saucepan with water to half cover, bring to simmer, and cook, tightly covered, until tender, about 20 minutes. Line strainer with cheesecloth and place over bowl.
- Drain squash, cool slightly, and puree through food mill or potato ricer into cloth-lined strainer. Let drain 30 minutes. Mix squash with cheese, nutmeg and salt to taste, adding breadcrumbs as needed if filling is too wet.
- Use filling to stuff Fresh Egg Pasta, cut, and cook as for Tortelli d’Erbette.
Recipe by Damon Lee Fowler, author of New Southern Baking